Friday, December 5, 2008

Taboo

I love the game of Taboo...you know, the game where you're given a word that you have to describe to your teammates without using the list of words on the card or you get beeped by an opponent. My family has laughed our way through many rounds of this wonderfully frustrating game.

However, I've found that something else is now taboo in my life. The words Down syndrome can't seem to be uttered by anyone. It's like people are afraid that I'll break down if they say the words while we're talking. I just want everyone to know it's ok to ask. Dan and I bring it up, but people continue to shy away from it. I'm not sure how to make it more comfortable for others. I mean, this is everyday life for us now, so it has to be normal, even if it's not "normal" for others.

3 comments:

Jamie D said...

www.thebatesmotel3.blogspot.com


Morgan,
I love that you are here, blogging! I've been doing it for several months now and love it. There is a family that I have followed for a little bit, and she is amazing. We have e-mailed back and forth a few times, she seems so connected and understanding. Her link is above. I'm following your blog now, I can't wait so see how God uses you!

Jamie

Wes Thorp said...

I read your blog today and will continue to read it. Bear is so blessed to have you and Dan as parents.

He will learn of the love of Jesus from the two of you as you love him unconditionaly. He is one very special little guy!

When I was teaching, I always learned something about life from every student I had. Bear is going to teach us all something about life and I am anxious to read your future blogs to see what all these life lessons will be .

God's blessings to you!

Gladys Thorp

Carpenter Photography & Design said...

I love you guys...all 3 of you. I can't wait to meet little Bear...I can't wait to see the amazing things God has in store for all 3 of you...thanks for sharing from your heart. God is so good...