Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Care Bears Buddy Walk 2011


I thought I'd share some pics from last year's Buddy Walk.
Just the 4 of us
Is Bear not the most beautiful boy ever?


My nephew, carrying our sign

The Care Bears, 2010

12 days. Most of us can't remember what we were doing 12 days ago and would agree that 12 days goes by so fast. Not for me. As a first time mom, 12 days seemed like an eternity. 12 days of waiting. Wondering. And finally, when I took my beautiful newborn baby to his first doctor's appointment 12 days after his birth, I received the scariest news *I thought* possible. "Bear's tests came back positive. He has Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome)."

I cried. For days. Weeks. Months. And still do occasionally. But most of the time, those tears well up from a full, full heart. This boy has stolen my heart, and he exudes love and joy. His hugs melt into me. My arms were made to hold him. Daily, I tell him to never outgrow my arms. Daily, I remind him that he is my most favorite little guy in the whole wide world.

And today, I do this for him. Because he doesn't have a fighting bone in his body, today I walk for him, to fight for him, to ensure a bright future for him. The Buddy Walk is THE major fundraiser for Down Syndrome Indiana, the organization that first reached out to us as new parents of a child with Down syndrome. The organization that advocates for the rights of individuals with Down syndrome in their schools, workplaces, and communities. The organization that provides a vision of hope and a bright future for my son.

So will you walk with me? Sure, I know many of you won't be here physically, but will you walk with me by supporting Bear's team? Will you help us claim a place for Bear amongst his typical peers in the classroom, on sports teams, and eventually in the workplace?

Simply visit our First Giving page to support our team. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/carebears11/BuddyWalkDonating through this website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.

I cannot thank you enough for your support--and don't forget to share this with anyone who you think might want to donate too!

The walk takes place along the canal in Indy.
Thousands of people were there last year,
and the canal was swarming with people on both sides.
My Mom and sister with a sleepy Bear

No comments: