Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quad Screen, Take 2

Today is the day before Thanksgiving. And I would be a selfish fool to think I have little to be thankful and grateful for. I'm 18 weeks pregnant with baby number two, and though the pregnancy was a bit of a surprise, we always wanted to have kids close in age, so we're ecstatic. However, as a mother of a child with Down syndrome, my risks for having another child with Down syndrome dramatically increase to 1 in 100 vs. the 1 in 800-something during my first pregnancy. So of course, it's been hard to breathe easily during these first 18 weeks as I awaited the Quad screen that reveals if there are increased levels indicating Down syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities.

We had the Quad screen done last Monday, and I thought that surely the results would have been in by now, so I called my nurse to find out and she was able to reveal that everything on the screen was negative, meaning I'm carrying a baby with 46 chromosomes. I don't know why I was so happy to receive the news. In fact, when I got off the phone with my nurse and called Dan to tell him, I started crying because I felt guilty and ashamed for being so relieved, mainly because I wouldn't change Bear for anything.

So as I said, today is the day before Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for: a child with 47 chromosomes who is the most perfect gift, a child on the way with 46 chromosomes who will be a compassionate and courageous individual who fiercely loves and protects his/her big brother, and a husband who is the glue that holds us all together.

3 comments:

butchers said...

Great news, I am so happy for you guys :) You are going to be one busy mama when that little one comes along. Eighteen weeks, huh....are you guys finding out what you are having? If so, then that time is coming up soon!

Evela said...

Hola!

We've just discovered this blog and we have read it whits great joyful. We are a cupple from Spain and we are so much happy because of your love testimony about Bear and life. We're sorry because we can't write very well English language but we will read every new entry you make. Thank you very much and have a good pregnancy of your second baby. Merry Christmas!

butchers said...

Morg,
I love your bookshelf gadget you added! I always want something new to read, but just don't have the time to keep up on what is good and recommended. The Help sounds really good....are you liking it? I may give it a try...