Friday, March 1, 2013

What's Cooking: Recipe Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have one of the best neighbors ever.  Seriously.  Ever.  She is a Christian woman with 2 young kiddos, and she is incredibly thoughtful, kind, and generous.  I cannot tell you how many times she has shown up on my doorstep with food or hand-me-downs in hand.  My girls are never in need of clothes, and we're often thankful for a surprise treat or full-blown meal.  I don't know if she'll ever fully understand what a blessing she is in my life or how thankful I am for her.

What's cooking in my kitchen right now is her recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.  Few meals are simpler than certain soup recipes, and most of the time they are freezer-friendly and provide ample leftovers, so I love making a big pot of soup (not to mention, they make the house smell so yummy!).  This one took me 5 minutes to prepare.



Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
2 cans of black beans (undrained)
2 cans of stewed tomatoes (preferably the Mexican seasoned ones)
1 14.5 oz. can tomato sauc
1 cup salsa
1- 4 oz can peeled, diced green chiles

Fixings (optional):
Tortilla Chips or Strips
Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream

1.  Place all ingredients in a crockpot on high for 8 hours (or less...until chicken is tender and falling apart)
2.  Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred.  Return to crock pot.
3.  Serve with fixings (optional).



Suggestions: You can spice this soup up by using black beans with jalapenos or substitute the green chiles for canned/diced jalapenos.  You could also slice up some avocado to add upon serving, serve with guacamole, or add some frozen or canned corn while cooking.  ENJOY!



No comments: